Mike’s Blog Round Up

Mike's Blog Round Up

Alright, that’s it for me this week. Thanks for reading and clicking. See you next time.

Keep up the pressure on the feeble-minded Orange Turd, which has very much been my focus this week, but let’s not forget that much of the damage is being done by McConnell and Ryan and their ilk, leading a malignant party that is not just turning a blind eye to treason and unconstitutionality but also seeking to impose its extremist, plutocratic right-wing ideology on the country, and of course it is health care where the major battle is being waged now. I so admire the commitment and activism that has emerged in 2017 to fight back against this anti-American effort, and now is no time to let up – quite the contrary.

Seeing the Forest: Is there truly legitimate governance in America?

Liberal England: Does Theresa May really have no regrets?

We Move to Canada: Are detective novels studies in power and class?

And, alas:

There’s fascism in Canada, too?

read more

Previous How wild horses of the West would die under Trump budget
Next Free thinking needed as much as free speech

About author

You might also like

Uncategorized 0 Comments

Chicago police looking for second juvenile in alleged Facebook Live gang rape

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson speaks at a news conference Feb. 1, 2017, in Chicago. The police department announced on April 2 that they have arrested a 14-year-old boy and are searching for a 15-year-old boy for the alleged gang rape of a 15-year-old girl.(Photo: Teresa Crawford, AP)CHICAGO — Police said Sunday that they have identified and are searching for a second juvenile suspect in an alleged gang rape of a 15-year-girl last month that was streamed on Facebook Live.The development came after Chicago Police Department announced late Saturday that they had charged a 14-year-old boy with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing of child pornography and dissemination of child pornography for his part in the chilling incident that investigators said was viewed by dozens on the popular social media platform.The younger suspect appeared in juvenile court Saturday and was ordered held in custody at Cook County’s Juvenile Temporary Detention Center, said Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County State’s Attorney.Police described the second suspect as a 15-year-old boy, and like the 14-year-old, he will be charged as a juvenile. Because of the suspects’ ages, police did not release their names.Authorities said that they are looking to identify several other juveniles — and at least one adult — who lured the girl to the basement of a residence on the city’s West side on March 19 before assaulting her.The girl knew one of the assailants responsible for the attack and was prevented from leaving the residence where she was assaulted, said Commander Brendan Deenihan, who leads the CPD division investigating the incident.Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson described the attack as an act of “savagery” and said he was inspired by the girl’s strength in working with detectives to help identify suspects in the case.“They humiliated themselves, they humiliated their families, and now they are going to be held accountable for what they did,” Johnson said. “While I know the emotional wounds caused by this savagery will take a long to heal, I’m hopeful her story can be an inspiration to so many other young women who are victimized by bullying and sexual assault.”Police announced on March 21 that they were searching for five to six individuals for the assault of the girl soon after the victim’s mother approached the superintendent with still frames captured from Facebook.The girl, who had gone missing March 19, was found by Chicago detectives two days later.After the girl was reunited with her family, they endured online taunts and harassing messages, Johnson said. The video, which has been removed from Facebook, was also viewed in real time by dozens of people, but no one called authorities, police said.Deenihan said charges could not be filed against individuals who have taunted the family because no specific threats were made against the girl or her family.It will also be difficult to pursue charges against any individuals who watched the video. Prosecutors would have to prove that individuals who viewed the assault on Facebook Live knew that the victim was a minor and that they were in fact in control of their account at the time of the assault, said Anthony Guglielmi, the police department chief spokesman.The department says it has worked with the State Attorney’s Office and the city of Chicago to provide support for the girl and to help relocate her and her family.“We have a very good idea of who the other (suspects) are,” Deenihan said. “Working with this victim at this time is very, very slow because she does not want to talk about what occurred for obvious reasons. She’s traumatized. She’s going to need help for a long time after this.”Andrew Holmes, a community activist who is serving as spokesman for the family, urged others involved in the alleged assault to turn themselves in. He also suggested that he stood ready to publish images of some of the assailants that appear in the video.“I’m giving you a strict warning,” Holmes said. “You know you were in that basement, you are in that video, you assaulted that woman … If you don’t turn yourself in sooner or later, I’m going to do the same thing you did with that baby. I’m going to snapshot your pictures — each and everyone of you. Your pictures will be circulated all over the city. I’m going to Facebook your pictures and see how you feel.”Follow USA TODAY Chicago correspondent Aamer Madhani on Twitter: @AamerISmadRead or Share this story: http://usat.ly/2nLJXaE

Uncategorized 0 Comments

Drug Company Owes $20 Million After Overcharging Veterans Affairs Department For Drugs

The drug company Sanofi-Pasteur has agreed to pay the Department of Veterans Affairs $20 million for massively overcharging on drug prices.Sanofi-Pasteur, the vaccines division of Sanofi-Aventis, incorrectly calculated drug prices in two big contracts, leading to overcharging of $19,868,194, the Department of Justice announced Monday. Now, the VA is set to receive those funds back.“It is important that pharmaceutical companies provide complete, accurate, and current information to the VA about the pricing of their drugs,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Chad A. Readler said in a statement. “The Department of Justice will ensure that pharmaceutical companies follow the rules for drug pricing when selling to the government.”According to the Veterans Health Care Act, drug companies are prohibited from charging more than the Federal Ceiling Price for certain drugs. But Sanofi-Pasteur sidestepped this and admitted to the VA it had done so, which led the VA inspector general to launch an investigation. The inspector general determined that Sanofi-Pasteur’s practice of overcharging extended all the way back to 2002.“Overcharging VA depletes funds that are available to care for our veterans,” said Director of the Healthcare Resources Division Mark Myers from the inspector general’s office. “We will continue to hold companies accountable for errors in drug pricing.”Not only does Sanofi-Pasteur have to pay $19.8 million, but the drug company said it won’t try to obtain reimbursement for any cases where it ended up selling drugs to the VA at a lower price than the Federal Ceiling Price.

Uncategorized 0 Comments

State Moves To Criminalize Screen Time for Kids, Parents to Face $20K Fine for Violation


The post State Moves To Criminalize Screen Time for Kids, Parents to Face $20K Fine for Violation appeared first on .

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!