CNN’s ‘Massive’ Error on Russia? No Time For It on ‘Reliable Sources’
CNN’s media unit has an enormous black hole in its review of the media world: CNN. On Friday, CNN retracted an online story making unsubstantiated claims about the Russian ties of Trump adviser Anthony Scaramucci. Jon Passantino at Buzzfeed reported on Sunday a crackdown on CNN reporting on Russia to prevent future mistakes.
So how much time did Stelter have for this story on his show Reliable Sources on Sunday? Nothing. Instead, Stelter spent more than five minutes hate-analyzing Fox & Friends as a Trump infomercial. He spent about ten and a half minutes indulging "TV legend" Phil Donahue. He even closed the show with four minutes allegedly about Russia — but his guest Masha Gessen basically fed back Stelter his favorite talking point that Trump is an "aspiring autocrat" who’s shutting down access to the press: "We’re definitely hurtling towards a closed system of government…"
Here’s what Buzzfeed reported:
CNN is imposing strict new publishing restrictions for online articles involving Russia after the network deleted a story and then issued a retraction late Friday, according to an internal email obtained by BuzzFeed News.
The email went out at 11:21 a.m. on Saturday from Rich Barbieri, the CNNMoney executive editor, saying "No one should publish any content involving Russia without coming to me and Jason [Farkas]," a CNN vice president.
"This applied to social, video, editorial, and MoneyStream. No exceptions," the email added. "I will lay out a workflow Monday."
The new restrictions also apply to other areas of the network — not just CNNMoney, which wasn’t involved with the article that was deleted and retracted.
A source close to the network, who requested anonymity to discuss the matter, told BuzzFeed News earlier that the story was a "massive, massive f—up and people will be disciplined." [Emphasis mine.] The person said CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker and the head of the company’s human resources department are "directly involved" in an internal investigation examining how the story was handled.
It’s not like Stelter was unaware of the CNN retraction. He tweeted that on Saturday morning:
On Sunday night in his e-mail newsletter, Stelter spent about 230 words on the "massive" mess-up:
On Friday evening CNN.com fully retracted a story after questions were raised about the accuracy of the reporting and sourcing. The story, by Thomas Frank of the investigative unit, said Congress was investigating a "Russian investment fund with ties to Trump officials." It didn’t get TV airtime, but it was shared on the web, where it was spotted and scrutinized by Breitbart.On Friday night the story was replaced by an editor’s note: "That story did not meet CNN’s editorial standards and has been retracted. Links to the story have been disabled." The editor’s note included an apology to Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci, who was named in the story. The next morning Scaramucci responded via Twitter: "CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted. Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on." Some prominent conservative figures, like Donald Trump Jr. and Sean Hannity, seized on the story as an example of anti-Trump bias and anonymous source malfeasance…An embarrassing moment for CNNThe truth is, there’s still a lot we don’t know. On Saturday and Sunday I asked CNN PR for details and comment. A network spokeswoman declined to comment as of Sunday evening.— My take: I sometimes complain to my editors about the layers of editing and oversight that exist at CNN. But these processes exist for good reasons. Determining what went wrong this time will help prevent future damage to the news organization… [Emphasis in the original.]
You might also like
Northern Ireland’s two main political parties have failed to reach a new power-sharing agreement, and no deal is expected in the short-term, putting UK Prime Minister Theresa May and her conservative government under yet more pressure.
"Obviously we are disappointed that we don’t have an agreement this afternoon and indeed we’ve been disappointed for quite some time that we haven’t been able to reach an agreement," Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader Arlene Foster told reporters Tuesday, as cited by Reuters.
"However we are going to keep working at it over the summer and hopefully we can come to an agreement later on in the year," she added.
Trump administration pulls Russian cyber firm from government-approved listABC NewsThe Trump administration has decided to remove one of the world’s biggest and most-respected cybersecurity firms from the U.S. government’s list of companies whose products are approved for use on federal systems, according to U.S. officials. The …and more »
Two former Guantánamo Bay detainees from Tunisia have reportedly described their homeland as being worse than the detention center, saying they would prefer to go back.
“I was in a small prison and today I find myself in a larger one in Tunisia,” said Hedi Hammami, one of the former detainees, reports the Associated Press (AP).
The news outlet reveals that he lives in a rented room that he has described as being smaller than his cell at the Guantánamo facility, commonly known as Gitmo.
“I feel like I’m living in a larger sort of Guantánamo. I want to live free and with dignity, or to go back to a prison without ambiguity. I can’t stand this twilight life. When I am in prison, even in isolation, at least it’s clear in my head and I’m resigned to it. Where I can regain my freedom and dignity, that will be my country. That’s not the case for Tunisia,” Hammami also told AP.
The news outlet identifies the two former prisoners as Hedi Hammami and Salah Sassi. They reportedly abhor their homeland, citing constant police harassment.
“Maybe, as my friend Hedi says, Guantánamo is better than here. There at least it’s clear – I am in prison. But here, I’m in a big prison with people I can’t even deal with,” declared Sassi.
“Detained in 2001 in Pakistan, Salah Sassi was freed the same year  as Hammami after the Defense Department concluded he was of limited intelligence value and posed little threat,” reports AP.
The U.S. military describes Hammami as an al-Qaeda associate, a charge that he denies. In 2010, the U.S. government liberated him without charge.
The two Tunisian former Guantánamo Bay detainees call their homeland an open-air prison and yearn for escape, even back to the U.S. detention center in Cuba. At least two other Tunisians freed from Guantánamo made their way to Syria, and another has seemingly vanished.
During a trip to Gitmo, Breitbart News found that detainees have frequent access to television, recreation, and even video games.
Moreover, most prisoners get exclusive use of a $750,000 soccer field, courtesy of the American taxpayer.
“Depending on compliance status, detainees do have access to a soccer field and a 30,000-item detainee inventory that offers approximately 20,500 books/magazines along with audio books, DVDs, CDs, and video games. We also circulate newspapers that we receive on a daily or weekly basis,” U.S. Navy Captain Chris Scholl, the spokesman for the Guantánamo Bay detention center, told Breitbart News.
Nevertheless, the defense attorneys for some of the worst detainees, those allegedly linked to the 9/11 attacks, argue that their clients face suffering and humiliation on a regular basis.
The two former Gitmo detainees from Tunisia say they prefer the conditions at the facility over their living arrangements inside their homeland.
Referring to the living quarters of one of the former prisoners, AP notes, “The room is subject to search at any moment and Hammami himself must check in with police daily. His work as an ambulance driver is tenuous, as is his living situation more generally.”
AP notes that Tunisia’s Interior Ministry, which oversees the country’s police, declined to comment after multiple requests.
Tunisia today “has returned to the police state that was prevalent under the former regime, with all the same ingredients of repression, injustice, and arbitrary actions, with the addition of an impossibility of countering these abuses with legal means,” Ban Amor who handles many of the Tunisian Gitmo cases told AP.
President Donald Trump’s administration is considering imprisoning newly captured jihadists at Gitmo.
Leave a Reply
Only registered users can comment.